NEXT MEETING – Tue, Aug 23, 2016
Nelly Vileikis from Artelas Quilts will be joining us at our August meeting for a lecture and trunk show. Nelly has a Master of Science in Mathematics, a passion for teaching and a love for quilting. Her love affair with quilting started in 1985 while attending graduate school at the University of Montana. Quilting is her world, she has tried other things but all the roads take her back to quilting. For about fifteen years she has been sharing her knowledge as a freelance teacher. She teaches quilt construction techniques and machine quilting. She has taught for the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo which takes her all over the US. She also teaches private workshops, gives lectures and does trunk shows. She designs and publishes quilting patterns and when time permits, she works on other people’s quilts using her long-arm machine. She continuously participates in international, national, regional and local quilt/art competitions and has won numerous awards. Nelly enjoys reading, traveling and outdoor activities. She lives with her husband in Aurora, Ohio. Check out her website at artelasquilts.com and come enjoy her presentation!
Come early, at 6:30PM for Salad and Sweets Potluck. Cost is $5.
Nelly will also be teaching the “Bella Strella” paper piecing workshop the following day, Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016 at Mifflin.
Fat Quarter Lotto
- August – green
- September – blue
- October – Halloween
- November – Holiday
Save the date!
Fall – Retreat is September 16-18, 2016 at the Berlin Inn and Suites.
Spring – May 5-7, 2017
The Common Threads Biennial Quilt Show will be September 20, 2016 from 6:30-8:30pm at Mifflin Presbyterian Church in Gahanna. It will include a judged show, raffle quilt, basket raffle, and a new highlight for 2016 – a featured quilter from our guild showing off the best of their best.
I know what you’re thinking. “Oh wow, what should I be doing to get ready?” Here’s everything you need to know.
- Put the date on your calendar.
- Start to plan on your quilt entries now. There will be a category for every size and technique, including totes and other three-dimensional entries. You can enter up to three pieces at $5.00 per entry. Note: although entering quilts in the show that have been at Show and Tell earlier in the year is not banned, the show is a lot more fun when the attendees haven’t seem most of the quilts before. Click here for the 2016 Quilt Entry form.
- Think about how you’d like to volunteer: judging, set-up, tear down, raffle baskets, snacks, etc. Karla Zadnik will circulate volunteer sign-up sheets or email her to volunteer.
Let’s make it our best show ever!
2016 RAFFLE QUILT
Tickets are available for the 2016 Common Threads raffle quilt. The quilt is 82″ x 82″. Tickets are $2.00 each or 3 tickets for $5.00. You do not have to present to win. Please contact any
Common Threads member for tickets. The drawing for the quilt will be at the:
COMMON THREADS QUILT SHOW
Mifflin Presbyterian Church
123 Granville St. Gahanna, OH
September 20, 2016 6:30 – 8:30pm
The Guild now has a Facebook page, thanks to Judy Sagara. Our show-and-tell photos will now be available on our Facebook page instead of in the newsletter. If you are a Facebook user, search for Common Threads Ohio Quilt Guild. Click on the “Join” icon. This is a closed group, so only members will see what is posted. Judy, as admin for the page, needs to approve your request, and then you will have access to the page. Use it to share pictures of your work, ask questions of other members, and share interesting Quilt-Related information. You will need a Facebook account in order to access the page.
- Membership Form – Use this form when you would like to join, or renew, so that we have your latest information. Membership Forms need to be turned in no later than the March meeting to be included in the Membership Roster.
- Expense Form – If you have any expenses that need reimbursed by the Treasurer, please submit them using this Expense Form. Be sure to attach your receipts. (Editable PDF file) (Word Document)
- Deposit Form – Here is the form for listing deposits to give to the Treasurer.
Members, click here for your roster.